About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
I love my two little girls and I love collecting nail polish - combine the two, and you've got Paws to Polish. Enjoy!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Orly - "Royal Velvet"

Happy Friday, everyone! I don't know about you, but this day couldn't come fast enough! I made a realization today while I was at work: This is the first complete week I've been in the office all 5 days since October of last year. I've been out of the office because of traveling for work, snow days, holidays, vacation days and my surgery in March. No wonder I'm so exhausted! :-) But I have to admit, I do like being in the office more. It's a lot easier to stay caught up when I'm not out traveling!


A few nights ago I wanted to try another Orly polish (I loved "Gilded Coral" so much!!!), so I wore a recent purchase, "Royal Velvet". I really, really love Orly. It's become a new favorite brand of mine. Their formula is great and very easy to work with (and very "forgiving"), I get very little bubbling (if any) and they dry pretty quickly. Plus, I love their gripper cap! Oh, and you get a whole ounce more in their bottles than most other polish brands give you! Bonus!


As much as I'm loving Orly, I didn't "love" this polish. I do enjoy duochromes, which was a big reason I purchased this (that, and it had purple hues in it!). But to be honest, it didn't look that great on my nails. When I wear this polish again, it will probably be on my toes, so that it doesn't look so "flashy". If you've read my other posts, you know that I do enjoy dark polishes, so that's not why I didn't care for it. Maybe it was just too bright blue for me in some lights. I did like the color changing effects depending on what light you had it in. For example, when I held my hand close to my lamp on my nightstand, the polish looked almost completely blue. But when I was driving around the other day and the sun was shining on my hands, the polish looked all-purple. Maybe it's the length/shape of my nails? I have very deep nail beds, as you can see, and that could've had something to do with it, too. Who knows?! 


"Royal Velvet" is part of the new Precious Collection from Orly which was released in March of this year. The other colors in this collection (including "Gilded Coral" which I reviewed earlier this week) are mostly "spring-y" colors. "Royal Velvet", to me, doesn't scream "SPRING!", but it's fun and cheery, so that counts for something! 


Final verdict: "Royal Velvet" isn't going to make it to any favorite polish list, but I'm sure I'll bring it back out when I'm looking for a fun polish when I get a pedicure.


So, here it is, "Royal Velvet":


Application:
OPI Chip Skip
2 coats of OPI Nail Envy, Original Formula
2 coats of Orly "Royal Velvet"
1 coat of China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat
1 spritz of OPI RapiDry Spray





I wonder why this keeps happening with Blogger??? This is not how the picture is saved, and there's no way for me to rotate it. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment